Monday, May 9, 2011

Maybe this is why Ariel was silent...

Today I had a 19 year old student ask if I could transcribe a song for her.  That isn't my forte, so I told her that if she gave me the names of the songs I would have my husband Andy do it.  She said only one song had a recording and she would have to sing the other, but she is not allowed to sing in front of men because she is an orthodox jew. 

Religion does a lot of screwed up crap to women, but this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.  Much like the burqa equating to modesty, supposedly a woman must practice modesty with her voice because it could cause a man to "have a relationship" with her.  I'm only guessing "have a relationship" is code for justifiable rape to certain sects of orthodox hebrew men. 

Remember, it isn't enough to keep your legs closed; you must also keep your lips zipped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment